Mine is what appears to be an unusual problem.
I own a HT-RC180 which has MultEQ and DEQ
When I run Audyssey calibration, more often than not (say 2 times out of three) I end up with heavily EQed sound that is audibly wrong. The telltale sign is overemphasized, bloated bass.
I tried pretty much all the usual recommendation from good folks at AVS
"Official" Audyssey thread - I am using camera tripod, point the mic toward ceiling and take max number of measurements allowed under basic MultEQ.
I tried different microphone, reset the receiver a few times. None of this helped - i am getting the same bad/good results ratio.
I attached a few REW graphs for your review - one good and two bad calibration runs. The bad ones look seriously wrong to me. Have you seen such symptoms before? Am I wrong to think that my receiver maybe defective?
Something is definitely wrong here... I've never seen this kind of strange oscillating behavior. The fact that it doesn't always happen makes it even more puzzling. I would suspect an intermittent problem with the receiver at this point.
Thank you for the prompt response, I really appreciate it.
You confirmed my suspicion.
Do you have any advise how to best describe the issue at the service center to better my chances of not being ignored? Should I ask them to check the microphone input terminal first? I have a nagging suspicion that there is current leakage somewhere that affects the measurements.
It's pretty hard to guess at the problem. I would think it's digital rather than analog, but impossible to tell without running diagnostics...
thank you very much
It appears that at least one other AVSer had the same problem.
You might remember Markus ( markus767). His is TX-NR708.
On the Onkyo chart, the green curve is from a "good" run and the red one from a "bad" one.
Does it look to you as manifistation of the same problem as mine?
Yes, I remember that problem from Markus. It does indeed look the same. I believe it was a hardware problem with his AVR, but don't recall how he resolved it.
He was unable to convince Onkyo support in Switzerland that the problem is real and switched to a Denon.
Hopefully I'll have better luck here.
Markus updated the firmware and it improved things with his 708:
Progress! Thanks to measurements.
I've updated my TX-NR708 with the latest firmware although it was just advertised as bringing support for an Android app. After the update I ran MultEQ and measured different positions. Now the point to point variations were improved, especially <100Hz:
Ran MultEQ several times after that to reproduce the situation where optimization fails. Had no luck so far.
Lesson #1: Never blindly trust a manufacturer
Lesson #2: Only measurements can give certainty
Good to hear. Lesson #3: updating firmware can sometimes break things.
There was no firmware update related to Audyssey for that product. But, somehow something that was loaded interfered with the sub calibration filter.
Markus updated the firmware and it improved things with his 708
except that it did not last.
two days later, 10-24-11:
Ran MultEQ today numerous times in an attemp to understand what's causing the problems I've been experiencing with my TX-NR708. It's probably just broken. Next step is to contact Onkyo support. Hope this won't be an endless odyssey.
Hmm, missed that part, ok, but he ended up with an Onkyo TX-NR3008 with XT32 after all so he probably sold his interim Denon.
You are correct.
in a PM exchange I asked Markus about how he resolved the problem. Here's his response:
Onkyo simply ignored the problem. My "solution" was to upgrade to a Denon 2312 and then to a TX-NR3008